Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Favorite Site Tuesdays!


I would be severely remiss as a comics fan-girl if I did not give a shout out to one of the greatest epic graphic novelists of our time: Jeff Smith. My site recommendation is for his blog, Boneville.

I discovered Bone when I was just starting High School, and from issue one I was hooked. Telling the story of three strange-looking, marshmallow-ish cousins who get lost in the desert and wander into a Valley filled with odd and wonderful experiences has shades of everything from the Bible, the Lord of the Rings, and even (I have to say it!) Moby Dick. It could have been a silly cartoon about round, funny creatures, but instead it was a sophisticated, adult, funny, sometimes terrifying, and affecting work of art. It has been hailed by critics as one of the best independent comics in history, and I think it's earned the title.

Jeff Smith hasn't been idle since he finished Bone, however. He has done work for Shazam!, bringing the classic character back with that blend of childlike and grownup that he does so well, and Rasl, a stunning series about an uncommon art thief. Check out Bone; you won't regret it! But, stay and check out his other work too! I personally cannot wait to see what he produces next, and I wish he would come back to Chicago for a signing someday; I haven't seen him in person since I was 14!

No comments: