Friday, April 17, 2009

Recipe Fridays!

Murg Makhani

Ingredients

2-3 raw chicken breasts, cubed
medium onion
6 cloves garlic
3 tsp. ground ginger
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. paprika
2 cups plain yoghurt
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 cup heavy cream

1. In a bowl, mix the plain yoghurt with the paprika and toss the cubed chicken in. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to marinate for at least two hours.
2. Meanwhile, roughly chop up the onion and place it and the garlic cloves in a food processor with the ginger, pulsing until it forms a yellow paste.
3.In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the ginger paste; sautee until the onions start to brown and a lovely smell fills the kitchen.
4. Add the tomatoes, and let simmer, covered.
5. Heat broiler. Line with tinfoil and place the marinated chicken pieces on it, broiling for 10-12 minutes, until the cubes are cooked.
6. Add the cream to the skillet and stir until the mixture thickens.
7.Stir in the chicken and simmer for a bit longer, until all the flavors have the chance to meld.
8. Serve hot over rice or cous cous.

This is one of my favorite recipes, found over 15 years ago in a magazine. I no longer have the actual recipe, but I have reproduced it as much as I can from memory; this is the way I make it! I'm sure a lot of you will say you make butter chicken differently, but this is the way I like it, and I'm sticking to it;)

No comments: