Thursday, July 2, 2009

A time to be proud . . .

Raising the Flag at Iwo Jima
There are times when this country drives me insane. I rage, I rail, I shake my fist in protest. I even whine. But always in the back of my mind is this understanding: this is still the best country there is. Yes, our economy is messed up. Yes, we are partisan and divisive at times. Yes, we are involved in wars we don't fully comprehend. But, we are free Americans, and in spite of all the things we could find to complain about, we have to remember to be proud of that. 200 years ago, a group of people did what no other had ever even conceived of: they stood up and declared that they deserved to be treated better, and were willing to die to secure that for their children. They literally changed the course of history with that decision, and shaped the character of a nation. We dare not forget that our independence is precious, our freedom is still rare, and our country is worth being proud of.


Signing of the Declaration of Independence, by John Trumbull


Inauguration of President Barack Obama, January 20, 2009





Most images courtesy of We Heart It

I, for one, will be watching my DVD's of John Adams and singing along with my favorite musical, 1776 this weekend. However you choose to celebrate the 4th, remember to honor it, and to be proud to be an American.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG. We watch 1776 every 4th. I love that movie so much. :-) Happy 4th!