Thursday, July 16, 2009

Harry Potter: brief review (no spoilers)

Yep; saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince last night. For the benefit of my sister, who will be seeing it tonight, I won't give anything away. I only want to say: fabulous. I hated the 6th book; it was the only one I truly disliked of the series. Going into the film, I was truly hoping it would restore my faith in the story. I must say, it is one of those rare, fortunate times when I liked the film better than the book. Funny, well-acted (for the most part), powerful, and emotional, it was quite a film to add to the canon. Kudos to Alan Rickman for an always wonderfully layered, subtle, and in this case heart-breaking performance as Snape (my personal fave), and to an especially good Tom Felton (Malfoy). He had the tougher job this time around than Daniel Radcliffe, and he handled it beautifully. I must also give a shout-out to Michael Gambon; I have been firmly not in his camp as Dumbledore, feeling his portrayal was not as effective as the late, great Richard Harris. However, in this film, he was all he needed to be: wise, weary, controlled, and quietly powerful.

Well done. Onward to the end . . .





No comments: