Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Comic-Fail . . .


So, I've been pretty excited at the prospect of finally going to the big one, the geek-fest to end all geek-fests,  San Diego Comic-Con. It's so famous, it usually gets referred to only as SDCC, and if you're a geek, you know exactly what it means when you see those letters. Big companies from across the entertainment board show up to promote everything from new TV shows and movies to cars and card games and just about anything else you can think of. It's three days of wall-to-wall Nerd-gasm Madness.

It's taken me a while to decide on a costume. I have to step up my game a bit; SDCC doesn't play around on the costuming front. I finally, just a few days ago (after seeing Thor), decided to go as one of the Avengers, albeit one that isn't going to be in the new film: Wasp. She has a pretty cool and not overly-slutty look (tough to find amoung comic book heroines!), and those wings would be pretty amazing if I could pull them off. I started planning various costume elements, brainstorming, budgeting, and I decided to check to see exactly what dates SDCC falls on this year, so I can figure that into my calendar.

That was when I discovered that SDCC is totally sold out.

I guess that's my rookie mistake; I'm used to Wizard World Chicago, where you can buy your tickets at the door if you want to. I just never considered that SDCC would sell out two months early; for all I know, it's been sold out since last year. I'm pretty disappointed, but I don't have much choice; this year's plans get scrapped, and I'll have to get my tickets very early for next year. I am grateful I checked before spending any money on costume elements.

Oh, well. I guess there's always SDCC'12.

3 comments:

A Place At The Table said...

Ebay!! Check out Ebay for tickets!!

Ginger said...

Nothing available on eBay at the moment . . .

LibertyJBE said...

Um, SDCC usually sells out in minutes now days. Pretty tough to get tickets otherwise. I have some family in the industry, but I'm pretty sure their tickets are all promised out for this year. I'll keep my ears open just in case they have a spare.