Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Recipe Wednesday!

I love cooking Thanksgiving with all the fixings, and each year I would try to get a little creative with the side dishes, doing stuffed figs, or pappadums, or whipped sweet potatoes with carmelized apples, or trifle. But, there was always one dish that rmained the same, year in and year out: Grandma's stuffing. I will not except substitutes, and I will not make another kind; I am convinced that iut is the best there is.

I started to take over Thanksgiving in my teens, and I remember standing in my parent's kitchen with an index card covered in faded cursive, spotted and stained, telling me what to do. Now, many years later, I no longer remember the precise measurements of things. I go by feel. I apologize if this recipe is horribly unscientific, but this is how I make Grandma's stuffing. I can't wait to get home tonight and fill my tiny kitchen with the sights and smells of home and family.

Ingredients:


Russet potatoes, peeled, cut in pieces, and boiled until soft (for 20 lb turkey, you need around two bags)
1 bunch celery, diced
1 onion, diced
breadcrumbs (for medium to large turkey, you probabaly need around 2 cups)
oil
eggs (probably 2)
milk (around a cup)
Poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste


Directions:

1. Peel, chop and boil potatoes until very soft. Chill in the refrigerator overnight, and mash with food processor, hand mixer, or masher.
2. Make breadcrumbs in food processor, or use store-bought bread crumbs. Add enough to make the potatoes slightly dry.
3. Dice onion and celery and sauté in oil until brown. Add to potato/bread mixture.
4. Add eggs and milk, enough to moisten the stuffing again, but not too much! Stuffing should still hold together and be moist.
5. Add salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning, to taste. Usually more poultry seasoning than anything else.
6. Mix with your hands (remember to be careful mixing the hot celery and onions!)
7. Refrigerate overnight. Stuff bird right before putting in the oven.

1 comment:

Kimba said...

I so understand! Nothing matches my own Nana's stuffing recipe. It's the whole reason to cook! Happy Thanksgiving my friend!