Thursday, November 29, 2012

It's time to light the lights . . .

I know it's taken me a few days to get around to it; I apologize to the readers who've been waiting with baited breath to hear about the shoot this weekend. For those of you who didn't know: I did wardrobe for a web series shoot this past weekend! Yay!

This pretty much sums up my feelings about the experience:

Is this not the best GIF ever? Seriously.

I can't go into details really, but I will say that it was pretty damn fabulous to get the chance to do what I actually came out here to do for a change. Everybody involved were awesome, from the Director to the Production Coordinator to the Sound Guy to--well--everybody. It was a small shoot, and understandably so; there was a micro-budget and we really only had the two days to shoot as much as we possibly could. The hope is that what we managed to produce will be used in a Kickstarter to get more funding to shoot more episodes, and actually turn this into a Thing. I'll keep y'all posted on that.

For now, I'll just leave you with a few snippets from the weekend:
-Though I insisted I would not be any good at Production Design or prop-building, I nonetheless found myself spending close to two hours building a time machine out of tin-foil and . . . basically, tin-foil. I thought it turned out looking like an enormous Jiffy Pop sans popcorn, but everybody else seemed to think it was made of rainbows, and that was kind of awesome.

-I somehow created a ridiculously Steampunk character using nothing more than elements from a previous Halloween costume, a copper flare gun, and a borrowed tweed vest. BOOM.

-I am old. It has happened. I was doing makeup on one of the actors (they were all lovely, but most were significantly under the quarter-century mark), and I tossed off, "Never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" thinking this would elicit chuckles at least. NOTHING. I said, "The Princess Bride?" hopefully. I got a, "Who's that?" in response. I am old.

-The highlight was, seriously, EVERYTHING. I just want to keep doing this, and get paid, and be able to suppport myself. On Monday, I was telling a coworker about my weekend in very vague terms, and he said, "You look relaxed." I wanted to tell him it was just exhaustion, but I realized I actually was kinda relaxed. This is what results from getting the chance to do what I love for a change. Go figure.

I hope that in five years or so I can be out of an office and in a wardrobe trailer on a set somewhere, full time. We'll see, dear readers.

2 comments:

Christine said...

You aren't old. Anyone who doesn't "get" a good Princess Bride reference should be shamed. Congrats on the shoot!

Maggie said...

This is awesome! So glad you had a good time! And yeah, you're not old. Everyone should get the Princess Bride!