Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Plaid Monster

So, after three hours of work last night, the plaid monster may have defeated me. If you'll remember, this is what I started with:

A double-darted bodice three sizes too big, with extra-broad shoulders and a very wide neck. A five-and-a-half hour seam-ripping session on Sunday left me with pieces to start fresh.

This is what I was going for:

A tucked, cross-over bodice with trim along the edge.

I altered the chemise first, putting in new darts, taking in the sides and shoulder seams, and grading the front edge so it crosses over. I had to get this the right size, as the sheer fabric would be draped on it.

Then, I spent the next two hours draping and tucking the two front pieces. I couldn't get as many tucks as the original garment had, so I managed about six per side. The sheer fabric fought me on the bias as I curved the tucks into the shoulder seam, and the front edge did not want to lay right. I slapped some lace on it, hoping this would help, but it ended up pretty awful. There just wasn't enough to work with; the finished bodice is too low in the front, too open, and the front edge is wavy and dragged down by the lace. I also think the skirt is too short, and there's not a whole lot I can do about that. I was so disappointed I wanted to cry.
Brian is coming over tonight for my sister's ball gown bodice fitting; maybe he'll have some suggestions. At this point, I think the dress needs a priest more than a seamstress.

No comments: