Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sometimes, some days . . .

I've been a little down on myself lately. This last week has been so busy I've gotten off my workout schedule, but truthfully, I hit a plateau several weeks ago, and haven't been able to push past it and continue losing weight. This has me pretty bummed.

I decided to take a little "Motivate Me" walk this afternoon; the weather was pretty lovely and I needed to get out of the office since I haven't been going out for lunch lately. I walked to State Street and went to Old Navy, where I decided to try on a bikini.

Yes, you read that right. A bikini.

Truth is, I've always wanted to be able to wear one. Deep down, I don't think I'm really a "One-Piece" kind of girl. One of the ways I'll really measure my success with this life-change is whether or not I feel comfortable enough to step outside in the tiny garment. This is the one I tried on:


Needless to say, the results were not stellar, as I figured would be that case. There are always jokes about the horror of trying on swimsuits, but this really was a little horrific; I suppose that was the point, however. I wanted to motivate myself to continue working, and to push myself past this plateau my butt seems planted on. Still, I was feeling all the things you would expect after such an experience: fat, unattractive, and blah.


I'm on my way back to the office, waiting at a light that had just turned red, when a complete stranger walks up to me and says, "You're very pretty. I love the flower."(I'm wearing a flower in my hair today.) Just like that. No preamble, no explanation, no come-on line or clumsy pick-up. Just a nice guy who stopped, said it, and then continued on with wherever he was going. I found myself bemused and smiling a little at how strange the universe can be sometimes.


I guess it just figured I needed a different kind of motivation today.

No comments: