Thursday, September 3, 2009

Community Reading . . .

Image courtesy Thorsten Becker for decor8

I mosied over to Decor8, one of the blogs I read regularly, and found this lovely post. You should read it yourself, but I'll summarize for you lazy-bones out there: Over in Germany they have these bookcases that sit out on the road, full of books. You go up, take out a few books, and go on your merry way. It's only asked that you contribute a few books of your own, to replenish the shelves. That's it. No library cards, overdue fees, receipts, nothing. Just a community bookshelf. How great is that? I love the idea of free books, and I always have a bunch of books lying around my apartment that I know I'll never read again. Can you imagine the little treasure hunt you could go on? And it would really give you an interesting insight into what your neighbors are reading just by what books show up on the shelves. I think this is a marvelous idea.

What about you, dear readers? Would you like to see these bookshelves showing up around the US?

1 comment:

Kimba said...

Here in town is a restaurant/bar that has a community bookshelf just like this in their foyer. I always find something interesting to take...and always bring something back to leave.

I'm a HUGE fan of Bookcrossings, too. Check out their website, but basically you leave a book in some random place for a stranger to find, read, go online to mark where it has travelled to, and then they are supposed to release it (and more) out "into the wild" also. I've found a few, left several...even in Europe. Very cool way to keep literacy alive.