Thursday, September 3, 2009

New Vintage Fabulousness . . .

I have been coveting a Victorian parasol for many years now, but I've been unwilling to pay hundreds of dollars for something that was broken, needed to be recovered, or just wasn't right. For parasol connoisseurs (yes, there is such a thing), the mid- to late-19th century parasol is quite a commodity, and to find one in good shape is rare. I was pretty excited to win this through Leslie Hindman Auctioneers yesterday.

My friend B, who knows much more about parasols than I do, has dated this at the 1890's, given that it is telescopic rather than hinged, as with mid-century carriage parasols. It's small enough and decorated similarly enough, however, that I plan to use it at next year's Naperville event. Squee!!!





No split silk, no broken tines, and minimal stains. The catch at the top is horn, and the black wooden handle is barely scratched. Not bad for under $100!


1 comment:

Pixel Wild Child said...

I can see now your lovely red hair in these cute pics! :O)Thank you a lot for your nice comment in Down and Out Chic Blog ;O)