Friday, January 29, 2010

New Favorite Shop: Joan Shum


My favorite new bridal find is a delightful shop featuring the designs of Joan Shum. If you're a regular bridal blog reader you've probably seen her designs starting to pop up in some of the best places; I discovered her over on Etsy and then started noticing her everywhere.



It's not often you see a bridal designer who can kick ass at separates, but Joan absolutely does. As a historical costumer who has built several corsets in my time, I know how tough they can be to do well, and these corsets are truly exquisite. Add to that the different skirt options and the variety of underlays with the top, and you have nearly endless possibilities. Some of my faves:


How chic is this? It's a corseted jacket with an amazing ruched tulle underskirt; imagine this for a fall or winter wedding, with a little vintage fur stole and birdcage veil. Love it.



I am not usually a fan of short bridal gowns; I would certainly ordinarily never consider one for myself. This is the first time I have ever seen one that so delighted me I could imagine wearing it! Look at the amazing detail on the Lovely Jane skirt:


Those tulle pinwheels are to die for, and the little pleated flounce? I'm kind of obsessed with pleats, after my Money Dress adventure;)

This is just gorgeous. Most of her designs are fully customizable, from the corset choices to the length of the skirt. I think I'll be keeping an eye on Joan Shum's designs in the future . . .

No comments: