Monday, October 26, 2009

Money Dress Diary: part 4

This weekend brought several developments:
-A new kitten in the house
-A broken car (after they just fixed it! Boo mechanics!)
-A finished dress

That's right! After fighting and struggling with this dress, the Deadwood monster is done! Woo hoo! All in all, it really wasn't any more horrific than anything else I've made, and a great deal less than some (Giselle, I'm talking to you). The sleeves took the better part of a day to finish and they still have a few problems, but I was so tired of pleating and sewing things that I just accepted them for what they are, fabric caught in the armseye and all. Truthfully, I'm rather gleeful over the way it turned out; I put it on for the first time on Saturday, and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. It's easy to get tunnel-vision when working on a project like this, so seeing it all together was fabulous.

Yes, I made the little hat too. I needed to make a hat for the Steampunk version, so since I already had the Fosshape for the base and a few extra hours, I whipped it up. I was so happy with my little green tricorn that I now want to wear it every day;)

The back turned out pretty well, I think. The van dykes on the bustle need a little work, but they photograph well, at least. I'm glad I decided to leave the longer tail on the bodice; cutting it short would have looked odd, I think.


I colored the buttons darker with my secret mystery tool: a green paint marker. I wish I had thought of that before I dyed them for the third time.




I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Now, onward to Tabitha's Dinner Dress!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty happy?? You should be down right over the moon thrilled - that dress is awesome!! I love it!!

Brandi said...

You look INCREDIBLE! Your hair with that color. I'm having trouble forming complete sentences. All of the details. Really wonderful.

kayerj said...

It turned out beautifully. You look great in green BTW.

Mimi and Tilly said...

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for posting the pics. You look fab!

Isis said...

You, and the dress, look very beautiful!

Jenn Erickson said...

Congrats on the kitten and sorry to hear about the car. The dress -- TO DIE FOR! Absolutely a work of art and you look stunning in it! You are very talented!

Jenn @ rookno17.blogspot.com