Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Quiet . . .


It is a cloudy, chilly day here in Chicago. The wind blows through trees painted in oranges and yellows and reds, hung in unlit lights waiting for the next season to arrive. People hurry down the sidewalks, their heads bent, collars turned up, hands wrapped around warm cups of coffee. The air feels crisp, the sky the color of milky tea.

It's been a rough November so far. I usually cherish this month: it brings Thanksgiving and my birthday, and I try to enjoy it to its fullest as we near the holiday season. But, this year, of course, has been different. Last year at this time, I was worried about an increasingly uncertain job, getting stomachaches over whether I would receive a paycheck from from a company nearing insolvency. This year I face uncertainty of a different kind, but no less nerve-wracking. It has made for a strange, uncomfortable November.

Still, even with all of these things, Thanksgiving approaches with its promise of family and friends and good food shared. My birthday is another opportunity to remember how blessed I am with loved ones. In all the hustle and bustle and stress, I cannot forget to be thankful for the quiet, simple truths of an autumn day in November.

What are you thankful for, dear readers?

2 comments:

Naomi Houser said...

I am thankful for my children, and their health and well-being. I am thankful for my family, and my friends. I am thankful for this life, and everything in it... the good and the bad.

Salomé said...

First of all, I am thankful for my school results, without them I couldn't enjoy being with my adorable friends and I'd be worried.