Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Flight . . .


So, I have long been an admirer of the work of artist Kazu Kibuishi. He is the genius behind such graphic novels as Daisy Cutter (a favorite of mine), Amulet, and the annual Flight anthologies. I do not actually own any of the Flight collections and I DO NOT KNOW WHY. Possibly momentary brain damage that prevents me from purchasing them.

Anyway, I also like to paint, but I suffer from a serious case of I-never-know-what-to-paint-and-probably-won't-be-able-to-do-it-justice-anyway. So, I end up painting reproductions of other people's work. For me, it's a way of getting to know a work I love, and being able to afford to hang it on my wall. I certainly don't know Mr. Kibuishi personally, and I hate hanging posters of artwork, so this is as close as I could get to hanging anything he's done.

The image above is the original Canyon Town. The one below is a picture of my reproduction, captured on my somewhat-crappy phone camera. I spent the better part of Sunday working on this, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I would never pass it off as my own work, and I highly recommend you check out Kazu Kibuishi's stuff yourself. If you don't hate hanging poster art prints the way I do, you can buy some of his work at Nucleus Art Gallery.

Thanks for the inspiration, Mr. Kibuishi.

* This is actually my second repro based on one of his works. My first is Tree House, and is now hanging right above Canyon Town on my wall!

No comments: