Wednesday, June 22, 2011

On the Lot . . .


Last Friday, I was treated to a backlot tour of Paramount Pictures. There wasn't much going on: there were a few things filming that I didn't really recognize, and most action was happening behind tarps and such, out of the public eye. Most of the tour consisted in driving around in a golf cart and seeing anonymous buildings and trailers.

And it was completely awesome.

I'm not sure how to describe the feeling of being on a lot like that. I suppose it's becaue I so want to be part of this industry, but for me it was like feeling electricity crackling under my skin. All I could think was, "This is where it happens." It was so incredibly, unbelievably exciting.

Also, a little upsetting, though that came later. It reminded me of when I was working at Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago; I had never felt so close and so simultaneously far away from what I wanted most in life. Here I was on a film lot, seeing the people who make the films I love, the people I wish I was working with right now . . . and here I am, back at my admin job. With no clue how to change that. Kinda like getting a map to El Dorado with all the place names scratched out.

Ah, well. Someday, maybe.

No comments: