Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Thanks; Have to Scream Now . . .

Nobody screams like Natalie Portman. Did you see Black Swan?

So, the book I'm writing right now has me SO INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED at the moment. I'm not sure what's gone wrong, but the train jumped the track somewhere and it's just careening through the dirt and tearing up the grass right now. I know where it ultimately needs to go, but I've created a situation that is like a ridiculous mobius strip and I can't seem to solve it.

I do this sometimes in my writing; create impossible situations that I force my characters to find a way out of. They always do; they are way more resourceful than I am, even on my best day. But this is one of those times when I just KNOW I've done something crititcally wrong somewhere along the way, and the narrative is grinding to a halt. The characters, usually quick and intelligent, are quacking at each other. Nothing is happening; it is all just standing still, and I'm not sure how far back I have to go in the writing to fix this. It's pretty clear I can't move forward.

Grrrrrrrr. What plot point do I give up? What dramatic moment needs to go away? Where did this crazy yarn-tangle start? Why can't I stop posing questions to myself???

In the realm of world-pressing matters, this ranks pretty low. But, it kept me up last night, and it promises to do the same tonight until I get that crucial "aha!" moment I've been searching for.

Let's hope it hits me in the shower tonight, or something . . . .

1 comment:

L. Edgar Otto said...

Seamstress,

Sometimes evidence of a good novel is when the characters take on a life of their own. :-)

The PeSla