Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Little Down the Road . . .


I seem to be on a faery tale kick at the moment, reimagining classic stories. I took on Hansel and Gretel recently, and now I'm on to another tale I've had percolating for a few years: Puss in Boots. Yes; the Antonio Banderas film just came out. No; I haven't seen it. I had a yearning to write something less dire than some of my previous novels, something that would be fun and different and not about saving the world or getting across some Deep Message. I've had the original tales sitting in a folder for a while now, since I worked at the brokerage firm (which was back in '06), and I've wanted to attack this at some point. But, every idea must wait until it's ripe, and this one finally is.

I'm having fun with it and stretching it quite a bit: it's told first-person from Puss' POV, and the language makes him sound like a cynical noir protagonist, which I really like. The biggest change is that it's set in the far future and Puss is genetically engineered to walk and talk. Otherwise, I'm sticking to the basic skeleton of the original story: Puss' owner dies and leaves him to his youngest son, and Puss sets about using his wiles to turn the kid into the manufactured Marquis de Carabas to impress the King and marry the Princess. Except with spaceships;)

I'll work on this for a while and see where it goes, but I'm having a blast with it . . . .

No comments: