Monday, February 27, 2012

Worth a Thousand Words . . .


Last night, history was made on a couple fronts:
-The first foreign film won Best Picture
-The first silent film won Best Picture since "Wings"

Besides being one of my favorite films of the last five years, "The Artist" was quite an achievement, and I am so happy that it took the top prize. There are plenty of nay-sayers already, claiming it did not deserve the award, but I have a theory about that: critics seem to think if a movie isn't deeply depressing or dark, it shouldn't win. This is rubbish of course; movies aren't good because they're depressing. Movies are good because they reach you on an emotional level, happy or sad. When I saw "The Artist" the first time, I left the theatre beaming, with a skip in my step, feeling happier than I'd felt in weeks. It inspired me, and it made me want to see it again (which I did).  I was impressed with it on pretty much every level, and isn't that what a Best Picture should be? Music, costume design, acting (imagine having to get your point across without words, and then tell me the actors weren't amazing), lighting, cinematography, directing . . . all these things worked like gangbusters in "The Artist".

I hope it stays a bit longer in the theatres now, and more people have the chance to see it; I may go back and see it again myself;)

No comments: