Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Looking ahead: projects for later this year . . .

So, this year, I turn the big 3-0. Yikes. I remember when I was so proud to turn 25, happily telling people, "I've reached the quarter-century mark!" What an ass. I'm surprised my older friends didn't punch me in the face. Now, I get to participate in another time-honored tradition: lying about my age;)


To commemorate the occasion of turning 29 again, I've asked for a Victorian themed party that I don't have to plan. Apparently my friends and my sister are already talking about it and it's hard for me, being the busy-body party-planner that I am, to stay out of it, but it will be fun to get to go to something I didn't have to plan the menu or pick out the china for;)

That doesn't mean I get to sit on my hands, however. I still have to make two new dinner gowns for myself and my sister. To that end, a project I have wanted to take on since I first saw it on the second season of the incomparable Deadwood: The Money Dress.

Utilizing over 17 yards of clover green dupioni silk from my friend Silk Baron, a yard of green velvet and emerald silk satin, and two different widths of double faced silk ribbon from JKM Ribbon and Trim, as well as a butt-load of satin buttons dyed green, this dress will be a beautiful monstrosity when its done. I'll go to my favorite Victorian pattern company for the patterns, Truly Victorian, using 225, 324, and 422, and I'll be sure to post the progress and results. Oh; if anyone can point me towards a company that might sell jewelry like the choker and bracelet she wears, I'd be grateful! I won't be starting for another few months (I have to start buying the fabric and supplies!), but I'm already excited! Squeee! Now, if only I could find me a Sheriff Bulloch . . . .



Of course, more imminently, I have the Silk Spectre II costume for this summer's Wizard World Chicago. I know I'll be one of two billion dressed as one of the Watchmen this year, but I'm still excited (and trepidatious!) about starting on that. Still losing weight as well; hopefully I'll be closer to my goal by August, and I won't be one of those girls; you know the kind I mean, who should never even consider putting on spandex, but apparently don't own a working mirror. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress for this one too!

2 comments:

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

That is an incredible dress! And I know what you mean. I made a big deal about 25. Now at 31, I think WTH was I thinking?! ha!

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today!

Ginger said...

No prob, Kelly! I'm new to blogging, so I love surfing around and checking out what other people are blogging about;) Thanks for commenting!