Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscar Fashion Review . . .

It was certainly a sparkly night in Hollywood last night.

The 82nd Academy Awards is always one of the best oportunities to see what the next big trends in fashion are going to be, and last night was no exception. The verdict? Lots of wrapped, draped dresses, lots of mermaid shapes, and lots of bling.

Some of my favorite looks from the night: (above) Zoe Saldana wearing a very interesting purple number from Givenchy that I suspect is going to polarize the critics; it looks a little like a party decoration at the bottom, but I still think she pulled it off. Amanda Seyfried looked elegant and beautiful in Armani Prive, especially when standing next to co-presenter Miley Cyrus who needed some serious lessons in posture.

Gabourey Sidibe looked gorgeous, rocking it in a blue Marchesa gown, and I hope she holds out against the Hollywood machine that will start working on her to slim down to a size six, or something. Demi Moore's Atelier Versace dress was lovely, but a little too close to her skin color. Still, I liked it.


Wow, Queen Latifah. Beautiful. And, Sigorney? You can still bring it, and you do in this Lanvin number.


Pale colors were everywhere (with a few notable exceptions). Anna Kendrick's pale pink dress from Elie Saab was girly without making me want to gag; even the little roses and the lace arounnd the leg slit were well done. I love Sandra Bullock's Marchesa dress, but then, I'm always in her corner (even when she does movies like All About Steve).


I suspect Vera Farmiga's Marchesa dress is another one that will polarize the critics. I'm not even sure how I feel about it, but it was a rare pop of color in a night dominated by whites, peaches, greys and blacks, so I had to stick it up here. Love it or hate it, it's daring. Helen Mirren in Badgley Mischka. I want to look that classy when I'm her age.


Cameron Diaz, more often than not, looks fabulous on the red carpet, and last night was no exception. I can see knockoffs of this Oscar de la Renta dress being ordered. And, Penelope Cruz can always be counted on to wear something impeccable and bright in this Donna Karan gown.

All in all, a pretty good night for films, and a good night for fashion. Stick around for my reviews of what I felt were the worst looks of the night . . .

What do you think, dear readers? Agree with my picks for the Best Dressed?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the Oscars last night - too busy! But I must say, I'm not impressed with ANY of the dresses shown here. Women should wear dresses; dresses should not wear women. If the dress gets all the attention and doesn't bring to attention how beautiful the woman looks, then the dress is a failure in my book. Helen Mirren's dress is the only one that really lets you notice how radiant she is. Everything else is so... fru-fru. All those ruffles and spangles and frills and pleats and lace and prints and stuff - it's all so much. Makes me pine for the classic simplicity of the little black dress, frankly.