Friday, March 5, 2010

Purse happiness . . .


Why, yes: it is rather shallow of me to be happy about a purse. Shut up.

My current bag has outlived its time, peeling and shedding and breaking. Perhaps this is because at last count, I had enough in it to survive a minor zombie attack: flashlight, sewing kit (for when the zombies tear the hem of your skirt), tape measure, emergency thank you notes (you never know), wallet, book(one should always have something sensational to read on the train), small pharmacy (painkillers, vitamins, pepto bismal, you name it), safety pins, brush, hairspray, makeup kit, keys, pens, and passport (in case I should need to leave the country suddenly on a costume-rescue mission).

I've been needing a new purse for quite a while, but have just been too poor to justify it. However, it's become a case of the old purse slowly disintegrating, so I finally broke down and decided to put one on layaway at my local TJ Maxx. (Do not even ask me about the 35 minutes I spent in line just to put this purse on layaway.)

I have become a bit of a snob about my purses; because I carry so much in them and am pretty hard on them, I want them to last longer than two months. And, they need serious pockets. So, when I found the Portishead Satchel from Matt and Nat, I got very excited. The bag is vegan, for one thing, with double zippers so we freaks who wear our purses on our right shoulder (gasp!) can actually have the zipper on the right side. Men will not know what I'm talking about here, but women will understand my frustration with the purse industry over this subject. There are also pockets everywhere, and it's very well-made. And it's white (unlike the pic), which makes me think of spring and summer.

Sigh. Yes; this purse has made a little ray of sunshine in my day.

No comments: